The report is based on hotel market performance statistics provided by STR with analysis by Horwath HTL. This report examines the performance of hotels in India in H1 2018.
India Hotel Market Review – H1 2018
This report examines the performance of hotels in India in the half year from Jan – June 2018. Additionally, we have changed the focus of the report to present two interesting aspects:
• performance in H1-18, of hotels that were reported for H1-17, so as present an ‘apples- to apples’ comparison.
• performance in H1-18 of hotels that were opened in 2017 – thus giving an idea of the level of penetration that these hotels achieved over their initial months of operation.
Market Performance H1-18
Market-wide occupancy, ADR and RevPAR were at 65.9%, Rs. 5,868 and Rs. 3,868 respectively. The movement was positive, across all three parameters.
The key positive news from this performance is:
• Mumbai occupancy up significantly, to 78%; and ADR crossed 8k level
• New Delhi and Pune occupancy crossed 70%, while also gaining 8% in ADR
• Goa occupancy moved up by +2.1 pts, however ADR was flat
• Bengaluru and Jaipur had good ADR growth, comfortably crossing the 6k and 5k levels respectively
• Kochi ADR grew 7.2% – but the market will struggle due to the unfortunate floods
• Hyderabad grew RevPAR by 6.7%, mainly on improved occupancy.
Markets that faced challenges are:
• Gurgaon, with ADR and RevPAR decline
• Chennai and Ahmedabad with less than 1% RevPAR growth
• Chandigarh, where rate decline has materially neutralised occupancy growth
Click here ( Adobe Acrobat PDF file) to download the complete article.