The Art and Science of the Hotel Concierge, which made its debut last week at the 58th International Congress of the Union Internationale de Concierges Hôtels Les Clefs DOr in Toronto, is available for purchase from the American Hotel & Lodging Educational Institute (AHLEI). Author Holly Stiel, a veteran concierge, provides everything readers want to know about excelling in this profession – and more.
he new edition of this one-of-a-kind textbook (formerly titled Ultimate Service) details every aspect of being a hotel concierge—from the esoteric to the practical. Whether readers are considering it as a career, managing a concierge team, or personally serving guests, they’ll find the information and insights needed to take on this challenging, but rewarding, work. This valuable reference is enhanced with illustrative true stories, immediately implementable tips, and occupational hazards.
Using her 17-year career behind the desk, subsequent consulting experience, and conversations with concierges and service experts worldwide, Stiel reveals what goes on behind the scenes to create the magical experiences hotel guests have come to expect. This comprehensive text includes topics such as:
· The qualities needed to be successful and enjoy one’s role as a hotel concierge.
· Ways to develop positive relationships both inside and outside the hotel.
· Handling guest requests—from the routine to the outlandish—with skill and artistry.
· Using creativity to solve problems.
· Turning complaints into compliments.
· Using today’s technology to the fullest to organize the desk and serve guests with a personal touch.
· Staying calm under fire.
· The benefits of involvement in Les Clefs d’Or and local associations.
The book contains equal parts information and inspiration, as Stiel writes not only from the head, but also from her heart. In her words, “Concierges express their love for their cities and resorts and thereby create positive, lasting memories for their guests—all the while enjoying their day as they create a positive and enriching experience for themselves.”
The Art and Science of the Hotel Concierge is available from AHLEI for $30.95 for AH&LA members and $60.95 for nonmembers. To order, visit www.ahlei.org or call 800-752-4567 or 517-372-8800. Outside the U.S. and Canada, call 407-999-8100.