Hilton Worldwide (NYSE:HLT) today unveiled Tru by Hilton, a brand that is simplified, spirited and grounded in value, filling a massive void in the midscale category in the U.S. and Canada. Built from a belief that being cost conscious and having a great stay don’t have to be mutually exclusive, Tru by Hilton offers an experience unlike anything in its space, consistently delivered in a surprisingly affordable way.
Demonstrating owners’ desire for a forward-thinking and innovative midscale brand with a strong value proposition, Hilton Worldwide already has 102 hotels signed and an additional 30 hotels in various stages of approval in cities including Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Chicago, Denver, Portland and Nashville.
“We are incredibly excited to be launching Tru by Hilton, which will serve the largest segment of the hotel market, but a segment where no brand is meeting guests’ current needs,” said Christopher J. Nassetta, president and CEO, Hilton Worldwide. “Tru will provide guests with a high-quality, contemporary, consistent and fresh experience at a great value for customers, while at the same time delivering strong returns to our owners.”
Pairing a stringent focus on operational efficiency with thoughtful innovation, Tru by Hilton is more than just a place to sleep, it’s a true travel experience designed to deliver a strong value proposition for owners and guests. The brand will appeal to a broad range of travelers who span generations but think alike; they are united by a millennial mindset – a youthful energy, a zest for life and a desire for human connection. No brand is meeting their needs in their price point today.
Tru by Hilton’s innovative features include:
- The Hive, a first floor experience that’s more than a lobby – 2,770 square-feet of open space with unique ways for guests to engage with others or spend time alone – in one of four distinct zones for lounging, working, eating or playing.
- The Play Zone, filled with table games, a large-screen TV (featuring DIRECTV), and tiered, stadium-inspired seating.
- A centrally located Command Center – a re-envisioned front desk – featuring a social media wall with real-time content to foster engagement among guests, and a 24/7 market offering fun snacks and refreshments, single-serve wine and beer*, healthy light meal options and sundries for purchase.
- A complimentary “Build Your Own” breakfast consisting of a toppings bar with 30 sweet and savory items allowing guests to customize bagels, donuts, Greek yogurt and oatmeal to satisfy their taste buds and cravings.
- Smart and efficiently designed guest rooms full of the things that matter most – all-white comfortable platform beds, 55” TVs, eight-foot wide windows, access to power everywhere, and surprisingly spacious bathrooms.
- A fitness center that defines wellness trends, rather than follows them, with a concept focused on cardio, strength and flexibility.
- A technology-forward mentality featuring segment-leading complimentary Wi-Fi bandwidth allowing guests to download and stream content on their devices, plentiful power sources, and mobile check-in, room selection and Digital Key available through the Hilton HHonors mobile app.
- A collaboration with DIRECTV, offering guests more than 150 channels, like they have at home.
- Rooms and linens cleaned by P&G Professional’s (NYSE: PG) top hospitality brands, including Tide® Professional™, Swiffer® Professional™ and Febreze® Professional™ to help enhance the guest experience and drive operational efficiencies.
- A brand personality that’s full of life with a spirited culture grounded in a thoughtful, reliable and unflappable approach to guest service.
“More than 40 percent of all U.S. hotel stays are within the midscale and economy sectors1 and Tru by Hilton addresses a gap in the marketplace by appealing to the youthful mindset demographic, pushing the industry to marry quality and value,” said Jim Holthouser, executive vice president, global brands, Hilton Worldwide. “We’re breaking through the clutter of undistinguished offerings to capture the hearts of today’s travelers and anticipating the needs of tomorrow’s guests, while delivering a hotel that’s a place travelers will want to go to rather than just through.”
Tru by Hilton’s prototype was designed to be easily scalable to fit urban, suburban, highway and airport adjacent locations. The prototype is also adaptable to dual-branded hotels. The first Tru by Hilton hotel is expected to open by the end of 2016 in the U.S.
“Knowing the intensive development process that was undertaken to create a distinctly different brand made expanding our presence in this rapidly-growing segment with Tru by Hilton an easy decision,” said Mitch Patel, president and CEO of Vision Hospitality Group. “Hilton Worldwide’s legacy of creating category-leading brands that complement, rather than compete with each other, gives us a competitive edge in the midscale category.”
Tru by Hilton joins Hilton Worldwide, the largest, fastest-growing global hospitality company, which recently entered its country. Driven by organic growth, the company has an industry-leading pipeline of 275,000 rooms**. Tru by Hilton follows a tradition of developing brands that challenge consumer mindsets and industry standards, and joins a portfolio of what is now 13 independent yet complementary hotel brands addressing the varying needs of guests and owners across price points.
Guests of Tru by Hilton will enjoy the benefits of Hilton HHonors, the award-winning loyalty program serving more than 50 million members. Hilton HHonors offers members exclusive benefits and more ways to redeem points than any other guest-loyalty program.
“As we developed Tru, we wanted to challenge everything we thought we knew about how a hotel in this category should be designed and to shift guests’ behavior and expectations,” said Phil Cordell, global head, focused service brands, Hilton Worldwide. “We feel that Tru by Hilton will deliver on that vision.”
More information about Tru by Hilton can be found at www.trubyhilton.com.
*Service of alcohol subject to state and local laws. Must be of legal drinking age.
** Including rooms approved but not yet signed.
1 Source: STR Census (June 2015); STR data