Owned by Harpreet Bedi and Satinder Garcha, the 41-room hotel was designed by award-winning French designer Jacques Garcia, blending together traditional Singaporean hospitality with Garcia’s traditional maximalist style.
Tribute Portfolio, part of Marriott International, Inc. (NASDAQ: MAR), today debuted its first hotel in Singapore with the addition of hôtel vagabond, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel. Owned by Harpreet Bedi and Satinder Garcha, the 41-room hotel was designed by award-winning French designer Jacques Garcia, blending together traditional Singaporean hospitality with Garcia’s traditional maximalist style. Marriott International’s 10th property in Singapore, hôtel vagabond invites guests to Stay Independent in the Lion City, while still enjoying all the benefits of the world’s most global loyalty programs.
“Our loyalty members have expressed interest time and time again for more access to great hotels in Asia, specifically in global markets like Singapore,” said Brian Povinelli, Senior Vice President and Global Brand Leader for Tribute Portfolio. “Truly capturing the independent spirit of the Tribute Portfolio brand, hôtel vagabond delivers a distinct experience for travelers seeking the unexpected.”
Located just outside the central business district in the indie Jalan Besar area, hôtel vagabond, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel reflects the energy of Singapore. Housed in a colonial-era Art Deco building, the heart and soul of hôtel vagabond is the Vagabond Salon, a modern interpretation of a Parisian salon, where guests have the opportunity to mingle with resident artists over a crafted cocktail, dine amidst a performance, or watch an independent film. Three times a week, the Salon is transformed into a music venue featuring a line-up of the most talented live musicians and DJs, showcasing local and visiting up-and-coming artists, from jazz quartets to indie rockers. With 5,000 square feet of luxurious interiors, a state-of-the-art sound system, superb acoustics and a DJ console, the Vagabond Salon is designed as a fully integrated, adaptable space for events to remember.
Offering 41 rooms and suites, each guestroom within the hotel features Italian marble and glass mosaic bathrooms, mahogany furniture and luxurious bedding. In the spirit of the hotel’s artistic vibe, each guestroom houses curated photographs and art pieces, commemorating a diverse array of artistic expression across cultures and time periods.
The hotel also features an Executive Club Lounge for intimate meetings, boasting extensive benefits such as exquisite light bites and premium high speed Wi-Fi. Additionally, guests can sample local signature dishes with a cheeky twist at the hotel’s new restaurant Hot Buns & Thunder Balls. Inspired by the tagline “If you must get in trouble, do it at the vagabond,” this fun eatery dishes up East-meets-West burgers and desserts. Discerning drinkers will be delighted with Bar Vagabond’s rotating menu of Asian-inspired craft cocktails, a wide array of artisanal spirits, and Gin and Whiskey trolleys, filled with some of the best bottles in the world.
Ranging from antique works to dazzling contemporary mixed media pieces, hôtel vagabond’s extensive collection of art, personally sourced and commissioned by Satinder Garcha, highlights techniques and movements across cultures and centuries. Part of the hotel’s independent spirit, a regular calendar of events positions culture and creativity as accessible for all. The hotel also features a signature rotational artist-in-residence program, which includes on-site performances, intimate events and interactive experiences. Via the hôtel vagabond website, local and international artists from all genres are invited to apply for a residency of up to three months, during which they will stay, work, and converse with guests and visitors.
As with all of the brand’s properties, hôtel vagabond, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Singapore features a noteworthy selection of #independentmoments, a list comprised of distinct moments found at each Tribute Portfolio hotel that illustrate what guests love about Staying Independent. These socially-sourced vignettes go beyond the typical hotel brochure to highlight the secret spots, must-sees and can’t-miss experiences at each Tribute Portfolio property. The #independentmoments include:
- Golden Banyan Tree – Hand-crafted by the Allahbuksh family, who for generations made the armour for the Rajasthani royal family, the tree has become an icon of the hotel
- Tamarind Hill – The hotel’s signature cocktail, this tasty libation celebrates one of Singapore’s most revered fruits. Known to cure anything from digestive problems to hangovers, tamarind is the star of this drink, which is also enhanced by tequila, Cointreau and a hint of vanilla
- Coffee Table Books – The vast compilation of art and design books in the lobby are part of Satinder Garcha’s personal collection, accumulated by Garcha and his family over the years on their travels to Mongolia, Cuba, Chile, Botswana and Argentina
- Golden Animals – Jacques Garcia, who designed the hotel, had an affinity for elephants, and hence two golden sculptures of these majestic animals can be found throughout the property. The monkey sculpture at the bar is also a favorite, designed by French artist Franck Le Ray
- Gallery Walls – Curated and installed by British artist Peter Millard, these artworks adorn the walls of the Vagabond Salon and are comprised of originals, prints and reproductions from across the globe, showcasing a plethora of diverse art styles
- Hotel Exterior – Housed in a 1950s heritage Art Deco building, golden trees are creatively featured as a tasteful design fix, preserving the original building’s pillars, which are protected by local building conservation guidelines
“Our partnership with Marriott International and its Tribute Portfolio brand expands our vision for hôtel vagabond to a wider audience, while making a lasting mark on the hospitality scene in Singapore,” explained Satinder Garcha, CEO of Garcha Hotels and founder of hôtel vagabond. “Our ethos of creating one-of-a-kind experiences for guests is exactly what high-end travelers are seeking. We believe the unique design of hôtel vagabond, paired with its celebrated location of Singapore, makes it a perfect choice for travelers,” added Harpreet Bedi, Legal Counsel of Garcha Hotels and General Manager of hôtel vagabond.